RCU Forums - View Single Post - Top Flite P-47D Thunderbolt ARF .60-.91: Building & Mods
Old 06-27-2009, 02:02 PM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite P-47D Thunderbolt ARF .60-.91: Building & Mods

Cockpit/ interior kit installation WARNINGS!

WARNING #1:
The manual is pretty vague concerning the cockpit kit installation: they instruct the builder to install the seat to the floor, but are not at all specific on exactly where the seat should be attached.
If you do the obvious: attach it centered onto the 'pedestal on the floorboard: the foorboard/ seat assembly will not fit if the headrest/ 'armor plate' is installed!

Check it out: hold the seat onto the floorboard, with the seat centered over the pedestal: the seat 'leans back' AFT of the back edge of the floorboard, meaning it would be up against the backrest/ armor plate. And, because the headrest leans forward, AND the seat is seat reaches the area which is leaning forward: even if the seat was to mounted so that it was even with the back edge of the floorboard: the seat would STILL be against the headrest.

That all said, there are 2 options as I see it:
1) mount the seat at the forward edge of the pedestal
2) center the seat, but modify airframe and floorboard so that it can be mounted farther forward, then fill in the area between armor plate/ headrest and aft of floorboard.

I will be doing option 2

WARNING #2:
The manual also suggests the builder "Install the back/ head rest first, followed by the floor, instrument panel, and side panels".
Too late for me: I did it. Now, how am I supposed to wedge that floorboard/ seat assembly into the fuselage? Looks like I'll have to remove that "back/ head rest" in order to install the floorboard/ seat assembly.
I have concluded that the floorboard cannot be installed with the back/ head rest already installed, IF the seat is attached to the floorboard.

Conclusion: I suggest that you do not permanantly install the seat UNTIL the floorboard AND back/ head rest are installed.

Also, I have moved my floorboard forward 3/8", by removing the front corners of the floorboard, removing the bottom part of the lite ply brace that would normally be the forward-most part of the cockpit, and adding sheet plastic to areas which will now be visibly exposed from the canopy.

Pics show
1) my modified floorboard (seat from another P-47 cockpit kit is already permanantly attached/ cannot be removed)
2) right front corner of cockpit with lite ply brace removed, plastic sheet installed and painted
3) left front corner of cockpit with lite ply brace removed, plastic sheet installed and painted
4) rear of cockpit with bottom portion of back/ head rest installed (I HAD to remove the top, angled part since I would not be able to install my floorboard with seat attached othetwise) and 3/8" plastic sheet floorboard filler piece installed (and painted) to fill the gap from my floorboard being moved forward.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu62298.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	210.9 KB
ID:	1225679   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89462.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	1225680   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk18208.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	166.5 KB