RCU Forums - View Single Post - What is the suggested and maximum wind speed for beginners? Poll=Max
Old 06-30-2009, 08:33 AM
gboulton
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What is the suggested and maximum wind speed for beginners? Poll=Max

What's the saying?

If you're not flying on the edge, you're taking up too much air!

==============

Ok, sure...that was originally a friendly shot at CGR, no question...I think there's a valid point there though.

Perhaps we "know our limits"...but aren't we really saying that we've found the point beyond which we won't progress?

Seriously, let's think about this. If we all knew our "limits", and stuck to them...none of us would be off a buddy box.

We progress in this hobby...as in anything else in life...by deliberately pushing ourselves beyond what we're comfortable doing...and finding out that maybe that wasn't a "limit" after all.

In the sense we're talking here, I don't accept "limits" on anything I do. Not at work, not in my children, and not at a flying field. Are there things I won't do? Sure. Are there things I'm not yet able to do? Absolutely. But those aren't limits...they're just places I haven't gone yet.

Will I EVER be able to do some of those things? Guess we'll just have to find out.

==========

That whole issue is, I think, applicable here. What's the suggested and maximum wind speed for beginners? Uh...whatever he can fly in, and a bit more? Heck, I dunno. But go back and visit something I said in my original post in this thread.

I never once mentioned the student's "limits" or "limitations". I talked about what the student was or wasn't ready for.

I think that's important. It's about understanding that what you feel comfortable doing...what you have fun doing...the sort of conditions/situations you enjoy flying in...those are all just fine. Whatever floats your boat works for me, so long as you're having a good time. But they ain't "limits"...they're where you've DECIDED to stop pushing yourself any more.

That's why there's no answer from me in the poll. That new pilot will stop "pushing the limits" whenever he/she is ready to...until then, the sky really IS the limit.