RCU Forums - View Single Post - Scat Cat
Thread: Scat Cat
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2003, 11:55 PM
Scott Godbee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scat Cat

I apologize for not keeping you guys updated on my little plane. Well, I wrote that message the night of the first day I had the plane. I bought the plane at the LHS and headed straight to the field. I have since learned that EVERYTHING the guys at the shop say, are not entirely gospel. I was told that the plane would take 125 on first flight. So when I got to the field and it didn't go much faster than my fun fly, I was disappointed. After letting it sit in my shop for a few days. I went out there and started tinkering with it. First thing I found was the linkage was not properly set, so the carb wasn't opening up fully. Also I come off another dollar, and bought a bit better glow plug. Also after talking to a guy, who knew the guy, who used to own this plane, said that it has been setting up for about 6 months. So with the latter adjustments made, and ring the thing out every chance I get, I HUGE improvement has evolved. I still haven't got the engine tuned just right though. I first had problems getting it to peak. I did ask a couple of the clubs some what well known glow mechanics to lay hands on it. Well I get it to peak, and also found what I think is the right prop, but mid range throttle is horrible. It idles a little higher than I would like, but any lower setting and it tends to die. I know what you will say. The low end is out of adjustment, but when you set that for good idle, and smooth throttle increase, I lose top end. I guess it will just take time to find the right sweet spot. I have been a big Thunder Tiger fan, since I my first trainer. Every one I have ever had has been perfect. Even break in was easy. I have been told that a webra is not as user friendly as the TT, but puts out gobs more power once it is tuned. I am just gonna have to play with it, and learn from my mistakes.

Thanks to you all for your replies, and suggestions. I am very fond of the plane now that I am getting the bugs out of it. It is really the best flying craft I have ever flown. I get the same kudos from the guys at the club whom I trust not to crash it. They are really surprised how well it handles. Flies like its on rails, even in a stiff wind.

Scott