View Single Post
Old 07-23-2009, 02:02 PM
can773
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: ZN Line Xigris Build Thread

Doug

Yes they are nice kits.

I think its worth pointing out that ZN (at least on the Xigris) is outsourcing the fuselage work. I am not sure who is doing it, but if you are used to a normal ZN fuse then this is quite different.

First its a vaccuum bagged fuse similar to C-ARF, but with a glass/herex foam/glass construction. The forward portion of the fuselage is still carbon fiber. Where the wing mounts to the fuse there is a very thin wood veneer applied under the glass for extra strength when gluing wing tube socket, hold downs, adjusters etc. to the fuse.

The canopy and chin are all glass, the canopy has a foam lamination (similar to the old ZN fuses) to increase stiffness. They are very robust and not prone to easily being crushed.

The fuse is very light, mine was around 550g (no canopy or chin) which is around 200 grams lighter than any of my Twisters. Yet its still very stiff. The benefit of this type of construction vs. the foam lamination is there is no change in stiffness over the x-section of the fuse.

The other benefit is that there is no large quantity of microballon/epoxy mix to fill in corners, this really improves the overall life of the model since you don't end up with small cracks through the corners especially around the gear area that the old style of construction was occasionally prone to develop.

Also the seam on these fuses is the best I have ever seen, either its because I got very early ones and the mold is still pristine or they have just gone a good job. I have had plenty of composite fuse kits and never had one quite this good. We didn't even bother to prep it before paint, just a quick scuff over with scotchbrite pads and that was it.

The rest of the kit is of familiar construction.

JB

Possibly I will give that consideration. I don't think it would be much effort at all to fit a set of the swept wings/stab to the fuselage (provided the location does not change). JP is flying that version in Portugal, I am sure we will discuss the flying characteristics of each. Also I want to see the Axiome in person and judge for myself how it flies before I start playing around with new wings

As it stands the standard version flies very well, so there needs to be some benefit to make a switch.