Thread: Sig Kougar
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2009, 01:04 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sig Kougar

ORIGINAL: richardgerardi

She maiden this past weekend, 100mph not even close. I think 65 at most. Will play around with different prop sizes and maybe a tune pipe see what happens.

For the Kougar......

with the stock muffler, go with a 9x7 prop. Allow the engine to turn up a little.

Add a jett-stream muffler to the 46AX
9x7, 9x8 prop, ground peak rpm around 15,500 - 16,000 is what you want.
That is about the best you will see speed wise on the Kougar (unless it has retracts in it)

As noted, the plane has a thick wing. But that is one of the reasons it flys and lands so great. Also has a lot of frontal area. But the Kougar is a classic for a reason ..... good looks, great flying, and just a great sport plane.

MJD covered the "prop speed" subject well. Best thing to do in most cases is leave the calculator in the drawer. Aircraft performance is a balance between prop/engine/aircraft/pilot. Pitch x RPM does not tell much of a story.

Brief example I have posted before.
We know that a well built, well trimmed 424 sport Q-500 plane can reach level flight speed of 120mph (time, radar, air data confirmed on a number of occations).
That speed obtained not on the race course, but in extended level flight where turning is not involved.
Q-500 is quick.... semi-low drag, but very basic, boxy ..... so it can be considered a fast sport plane.