View Single Post
Old 07-26-2009, 06:51 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default RE: Gauging interest, Hellcat group build

ORIGINAL: Ram-bro
Chad, where can you find these plans?
Which plans are you referring to Ram-bro. If you mean the Karlson Wildcat plans they used to be available through Model Airplane News but I'm not sure if they still are or not.

ORIGINAL: DaddySam
Chad,
Count us in for the build along. I too would like to see an 50cc gas engine - sized version, although I know there are several already out there. That being said, I like the idea that we can build this plane, put something like a ST 90 in it, some hopefully cheap retracts, and use standard servos. I know there is a quantum jump in prices when you go from .60 to 1.20 and to 50cc, so I think that starting on this size bird is a great advantage to those of us with limited resources. I've built from kits quite a bit, but not straight from plans, although my son is building a Fokker d7 from aerodrome models right now, and that's a plan and short kit build.

Do you think that some of the TF in-cowl mufflers would work for the Hellcat?
Sam,

Glad to hear you're interested in building the Hellcat. It would be hard to compete with the Jerry Bates plans if you want something for a 50cc and I'm sure laser cut parts are available through one of the suppliers. Heck, Flakbait has a nice one pictured above he might be interested in selling! My little Hellcat is aimed at an entirely different market though.

I think pretty much any in-cowl type muffler will work on the Hellcat as it is pretty roomy in the cowl. The one I have for the OS .61 going in my prototype is, I think, a Slimline product and it fits easily.

ORIGINAL: aerowoof
I see you build on glass as I do.where or who to contact for plans and the laser cut short kit?this flying season has been a bust so far as it has rained about everyday this summer
I love building on glass aerowoof. Instead of clamps, pins, magnets, or whatever I just tack glue everything right to the glass. A single edge razor blade cleans it all up when I'm done. The plans and parts will be available through me but not until the prototype has flown. That should be within a month if all goes well. I may also provide the laser cut short kits too, unless I get more orders than I can fill. In that case I will outsource the laser cutting.

ORIGINAL: Vintauri
I like the idea of a P-51B. I would love to see it sized for a 1.20 glow or 26cc gas if possible.
On the Hellcat I'd be up for an electric conversion on this one too as long as the price is right on everything.

I have the P-51B in two sizes, 80 inches and 72 inches. The design of the larger one is about 75% complete while the smaller one is not as far along. This may be the next one I build for myself as it is a relatively simple build and should result in a good flying airplane. Much like the Hellcat I have tried to keep the Mustang as simple as possible while still maintaining an accurate outline.

I am trying my hardest to keep the costs down on the Hellcat and make it affordable for as many folks as possible.