RCU Forums - View Single Post - Gauging interest, Hellcat group build
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2009, 10:37 PM
sweetpea01
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Gauging interest, Hellcat group build

ORIGINAL: sweetpea01
I would have liked to seen it larger than a .61 size.
ORIGINAL: Chad Veich
Sweetpea01,

This particular design was created at the request of a friend and the size was determined by him. He is a relatively new modeler and this will be his first warbird which is why I tried to keep the design simple and relatively inexpensive while still making it look like a Hellcat. Along the way it ocurred to me that maybe there were some other folks out there that were also new to warbird building and that a group build like this might prove to be popular. If it goes well I have some ideas for other group builds and one of those ideas is to build the Hellcat again but at 1/7 scale. At that scale the Hellcat would be big enough (around 72 inches) to carry lots of detail and opens the door for a gas burner to be used. I would add the flaps and tweak the outline a bit so that the airplane would have some contest potential for those interested. I really like the 70-76 inch size range for single engine fighter types and that is where the majority of my designs end up. It a size that seems to be somewhat overlooked by kit makers and plans designers as well.

As long as its quarter scale. Nothing worse than making an awesome detailed warbird to be excluded from IMAA events because its not quite large enough.