RCU Forums - View Single Post - Meet POKEY
Thread: Meet POKEY
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2009, 10:13 AM
rsieminski

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Meet POKEY

About 12hrs in the Temporary Hobby Room, minus bathroom breaks, lunch, dinner, and a snack, futzing with a broken servo, and out comes POKEY:
48 x 11.75 Polyhedral wing, 5" Dihedral each 12" side, 33" coro 5 sided box fuse, ASP .21 on the nose, AUW 3lbs, 4oz.

I need to figure out how to make canopies. I hope the ASP .21 is enough. The wing is 11% thickness, and the spar is at 30%. I stole the dims from a simple dihedral wing that I had in the garage, but was all beat up. I remember keeping it because it flew really great (I think, maybe I just forgot to throw it away). I measured the dihedral at 10", so that's how I got 5" per side. I've never built anything with polyhedral, so I'll let you know how the maiden goes when I get a chance. The wing kinda looks like a Slow Poke, so therefore POKEY. Do you calculate wing loading by footprint, or by actual total SA? Footprint wise, I have 17.3oz/ft2. SA wise I have 13.3oz/ft2. I used 2 servos for the elevator, one per half, and I mixed some twist coupled with the rudder, via a switch just in case it was a really bad idea. I don't even know what you'd call those now? Ailerators? Initially I was going to use just 1, but they seemed too small for the SA, so I used 2, and then I thought about the mixing... maybe it'll help the barrel rolls? It took about an hr to figure out the mix, it just would not do it... Until I figured out one of the brand new servos would not move no matter what.