RCU Forums - View Single Post - Straight Line Speed Organization
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2003, 07:59 PM
Blue Skyy
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Straight Line Speed Organization

Straight Line Speed Pilots:

I have been in contact with Steve Kaluf who is the director of contests for the AMA and is also the head person from the US for the world sanctioning body for world records "FAI".

Anyway I have been talking to him about having various classes of speed planes for competition purposes. It appears there is a tremendous amount of red tape to work through the AMA to have various classes of straight line speed. Currently there is one. The FAI 10cc straight line speed event.

I proposed to the AMA the following classes in displacement in cubic inches.

Up to .32
Up to .50
Up to 1.00

The real problem with the AMA seems to be with red tape. They won't even consider a proposal until Jan. 2005 and then it won't be looked at until after October 2005. Then there is a 2 year period before it goes into their rule books if it is approved.

Proposing rule changes with the current 10cc record is just as bad and has to go through the AMA and then on to the FAI for their consideration in rule changes. As you all well know there are no decent 10cc engines made today. A few old .65's yes, but no high performance .61's.

So what I am looking at is the potential for an organization of straight line speed pilots to govern their own flying styles and meet twice maybe 3 times a year to fly, push the envelope, if you want, run through a set of video traps that could save your run time on CD-Rom. Operations would be the same manner as the JPO (jet pilots organization) outlines the flying of model jets. Their records are established under JPO rules not AMA.

The question is, how many pilots would want to be a part of this straight line speed organization and would you actually be interested in attending a straight line speed event held in different parts of the country 2-3 times a year so it is reasonably close geographically where you live at least once a year.

I know most guys flying fast planes just want to fly fast and could care less about competition. This event is not just about competing, but is the chance to get together and share in flying fast planes together.

This forum is the only place I know of that offers the RC pilot the chance to voice an opinion on straight line speed flying.

Tell me what you think? Is ther enough interest in speed pilots to have fun flying fast together as a group?

Bob Holmes
Blue Skyy