RCU Forums - View Single Post - Beginner speed?
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2009, 12:57 AM
qwertypemdas
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Beginner speed?

hmmm, ok, just got back from the field. yeah... "I" crashed. But I have a great excuse!!!! I've been having major engine troubles with my evolution 40NT (all bad reviews on this engine). I was taking off, flying a few seconds then landing to adjust the engine. I did this about 7 times not thinking about fuel. At my field we have "the pit". It's a HUGE man made bowl a few hundred feet deep, almost vertical walls and a few hundred feet length and with. I was coming in to land and refuel after I finally got my engine tuned (maybe tuned), I was right over the pit a bit far out so I dicided to throttle up to get over the runway (duh). I didn't hear the engine when I throttled up so I shouted dead stick! Well the plane was to low to glide in, so it went down in the pit, there is a 10 foot burm in front of the pit so you can't see it, my LT-40 was over a massive pit, out of site, engine dead, with a pilot on his 5th solo flight (who never had a deadstick before), and a year of hard work and money has about to hit the vertical rocky wall of "The Pit". The damage is repairable, the wing joint is a little srewed up, the fuselage buckled, the wing mounts popped out (taking some fuse with it), the engine needs a rebuild (ARG!!), and some minor things like the servo tray and prop. The worst thing is the engine, I need to replace the bearings because they are all loose and grindy now and it has been acting up in past flights. It's completely disassembled now and the rear bearings as well as the crankshaft are all RED!!! The are red and gritty like rust! I use green fuel so is this red c*** normal? I hear terrible things about evolution engines. I took some pix of the crankshaft. What concerns me is that the red stuff almost feels sandy, I know that sandy grit on the back of your crankshaft is not good no matter what. So all projects are pushed back until I rebuild my trainer/wing and engine. I can't blame the engine for the crash because I ran out of fuel. Also the engine starts withind maybe a tenth of a second of aplying the starter. Super easy to start and it runs great on the table but as soon as I start down the runway it goes super retarded on me and never revs past about half the normal rpm's. Also, in the air, half throttle is higher than full throttle. The problem is the same even when the mixture is lean perfect or rich. Is the red "rust" responsible for this? Should i just screw it and get a TT or OS? Hmmm. It really sux not haveing a plane in the air, I'm going to miss the field funfly this weekend. I need info plz.