RCU Forums - View Single Post - Help me make it fly better.
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2009, 02:22 PM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Help me make it fly better.

Okey, seems like my nick-name is on the line here...

The set-up might be fine in a warbird and luckily there are plenty of place to save weight.

The engine numbers sound too high, I don't have the .15 myself but it is listed at 6.6 oz and the muffler should weight about 1.5 oz, so it should be around 8.1 oz (compared to the OS LA it has doubble ball bearings that gives the higher weight, but the power ought to beat the LA too). So 2 oz here that I don't know where they are comming from, Heavy spinner? (you don't need any spinner...)

- 2 oz to save

Fuel tank is heavy, there are more lighweight ones with a single tiny rubber stopper only. Or you make your own without any rubber stopper and a lightweight clunk.

-1 oz to save

The radio servos are a bit heavy I think and they also draw quite a bit of current, for the throttle one can use HS55 and for the others e.g. HS 65HB, the battery can then be dropped to about half the size of what you have now. Receiver is a bit heavy, the HS 5 is half the weight I think. Standard switch with charging lead? They are heavy too, there are lightweight ones...

- 2 oz to save

Standard covering instead of lightweight (?) I also spot what looks like quite a few plastic hinges on there...

- about 1 oz to save

Rear mounted servos add weight if you use standard extension, better to have them mounted in the front and to use lightweight pushrods or pull-pull, as suggested above.

-about 1 oz to save (if there are standard extensions to servos, including aileron servos)

This all adds up to about 7 oz to save, try a few of them and see what happens...