RCU Forums - View Single Post - why don't many people fly 4d?
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2009, 09:21 AM
grape

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: why don't many people fly 4d?

Hmmmmmm, okay so that does help explain to me a litlle what that's about (however I'd never heard of waterfalls, ect.).... Flying backwards with a plane? Wow, that's something I'd never heard of and when you said something like "switch throwing" I guess you mean those switches those you sometimes see on the top right and let of transmitters..... Okay, so I see what they mean when they refer to this type of flying as 3-d and 4-d but do you agree with me that those terms really don't appropriately fit the type of flying? Maybe I'm wrong but when I think of 3-d and 4-d I think in terms of mathematics (geometry to be specific) and so it confused me.

You did pretty much clear most of it up for me and now I see why people are saying some of it's childish and will decrease your battery time because of all the high usage of the battery during flight. Even though it may be childish I'd like to one day get good enough at flying r/c helis to the point where I can make them start to do a nose dive but all at once stop and flip back up an spin around, ect. I think maybe the reason people started doing this is because they got so good at flying that they kinda got bored with conventional flying and they just wanted to push their limits. Personally, right now I just want my little Helimax Axe Cx Micro to work correctly so I can just fly it without it crashing to the ground! Hehe, as I stated in another forum I was having either transmitter or receiver problems and thus the servos spas out at any given moment and I have a limited range of usually about 15 feet! I'm VERY limited on what I can do for now until I ship it back and get the prob fixed but I can't wait to just be able to fly it normally for now ( and then I'll probably upgrade to a heli that will be able to perform these 4-d variable pitch maneuvers)

Oh, and one last question- you described 4-d flying being done with the use of variable pitch prop (vpp)... Okay, is that specifically with helis or are you referring to planes as well? You said this is done with (vpp) with a special motor rig to allow power direction forward and backward. Wouldn't (vpp) be the motor rig that you're talking about? I say this because I know that from flying some of those flight sims some of the helis actually will go up when you throttle up and go down when you throttle down!( plus, if you ever fly upside down you're supposed to flip thatupper right switch, right? That way your heli wouldn't just slowly fall to the ground? I'm pretty sure that's what you're talking about.... If I'm right it would be like trying to explain that it would be impossible for a heli propellor to literally stop turning in flight all at once and then spin the other way immediately. Therefore, the pitch of the blades are changed instead of the direction of the motor to perform these acts. Well I think I atleast got part of it so thanks for explaining it to me and try not to think of me as ignorant because after all I am just a beginner and ALLof this is pretty much new to me. Thanks,
grape