Old 08-24-2009, 06:22 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: BROKEN MANIFOLD

ORIGINAL: thundertiger76

I have a MagnumR with West Eurotech 50V1 engine, Genesis tuned pipe
and manifold.

After about its 10th flight the manifold broke in half while in the air. Westonuk sent me on another but guess what, the same thing happened.

It seems the manifold is too thin and not enough weld around it.

What can i do?

The header to flange connection seems to be laser welded or ?? - but there is nothing much in the way of a fillet of metal there. I don't think that connection likes vibration much, under even moderate loads. I think the pipe needs to be well anchored and keep the supporting loads on the header to a minimum. I really do not know if this is a systemic problem or a few isoloated cases, but their process hasn't changed that I can see.

I flew my Magnum many times without issue. I then installed the engine package on a Screamin Demon, changing to a nitro pipe with half the weight of the Genesis pipe, BUT no proper midpipe support. I only had the outlet stinger clamped to an Al bracket, although firmly. The header broke in a few flights. I ordered a new one and anchored the pipe to relieve the header of the loads, so far so good but the long range prognosis is not available yet.

How is your pipe anchored? Are your props well balanced and all that, how's the vibration level?

MJD