RCU Forums - View Single Post - why don't many people fly 4d?
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2009, 08:34 AM
grape

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: why don't many people fly 4d?

Wow, it does help but I'm sure it'll be a good while before I'm doing anything like that!  I've had a blast going up to my local hobby store and flying their flight sim that they have there!  In fact, I'd buy that program for my computer but there's no way that would run on my p3 with no graphics card and minimal ram, lol.  What I do find interesting is how much easier my heli ( Axe Cx Micro) is to fly than some of the other helis that are on there!  I'm pretty sure some of those are set up (vpp) because well I've seen the owner of the hobby store fly that sim and perform some of those 4-d stunts that you had mentioned.  It's insane some of those helis that have more channels than 4, I'm not sure how many they have but I know this much- The second i get them off the ground the`y're literally trying to fall out of the sky!  You see i know that my throttle is a fixed angled proppelor and basically the further up on the throttle the faster the rotor spins hence the higher the heli will go.  However, I do have some knowledge of the differences between the way my heli flies and say like a 'real' helicopter.  IU'd always noticed that real helis, well their props seem to be moving at the same rate whether they're on the ground or in the air.... which got me thinking about this long ago so I went to the library and read up about how modern day helis fly.  Even though I've read the info over and over it still sometimes is a little too much for me to grasp all at once.  What I mean by this isn't exactly how it flies but the mechanics that go into the rotor (like the swashplate).  My Axe Cx Micro has a swashplate which lets me go forward, backward, strafe left and right and even though I don't have a tail rotor I still understand the mechanics of that, too (that's rather easy I think)......

However, I saw on cable recently this special on helis and it blew my mind!  There was this guy who had specially rigged his heli so that he could perform many of the stunts that I think you decribed earlier(4-d)... He actually did a backflip and he said it took him like 9 tries because he kept chickening out at the last sec because well it was scary as hell!  He had to modify both his main rotor and the back rotor because he said that if he didn't the top rotor would literally chop the tail section of his heli in half!?!?  I didn't quite understand that but anyways it was cool to watch the stunts he did.  He said that his helicopter could do ANYTHING that ANY roller coaster could do and more!  I'd be scared out of my wits cause I don't even ride the wimpy roller coasters, lol.

grape