RCU Forums - View Single Post - Global Jet Club / JHI F4D Skyray Product Release
Old 09-27-2009, 03:42 PM
mikedenilin
My Feedback: (67)

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: Global Jet Club / JHI F4D Skyray Product Release

Hi All F4D builders,

Here are some building tips and suggestions coming in just now.
"
Hi Mike
I installed all the servos except for the rudder.
1- The live hinges on the elevons are excellent
2- The pockets for the elevon servos is very tight to mount on the lower surface in the cavity. It is much easier to locate on the cavity closeout panel. This is rather thin glass, 0.030 inches, and a little weak for the very strong servos you recommend. It is also much thinner than what is shown in the pictures provided. I would normally have made the door from a matrix of kevlar and carbon. In this case since I did not want to do a lot of extra painting, I reinforced the door panel with kevlar so it would not likely tear. I also added light ply around the inside edge of the cavity for the screws to adequately secure the door panel. A pull test with the servo stalled indicates this is adequate.
3- The plastic control surface horns are really for a 0.40 size aircraft and not suitable for jets. Suggest you leave them out or provide E-glass of carbon control horns suitable for what you actually show in the assembly pictures.
4- I changes the control linkages to 4-40 hardware, although what is provided may be ok for the lower end propulsion systems.

Hope this is helpful,

Jeff Nemit"

Mike