RCU Forums - View Single Post - Scoop! Hangar 9 Phoenix 7...ARF!!!
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2009, 11:05 AM
BERUSTY
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Scoop! Hangar 9 Phoenix 7...ARF!!!

Hangar 9 Phoenix 7 ARF...

Question about RPM of EVolution .61 short stroke?

One not very scientific method...personal observation.

Friday in Muncie provided a unique opportunity to compare the Mark Radcliff 1981 Phoenix 8 powered by an OS .61 with mixture control and the Hangar 9 Phoenix 7 with the modestly priced EVolution .61 and the Mac's $100 (street price) tuned pipe set-up.

Mark was using the original wooden prop and Mike's was using the modern APC, similar fuel and very similar weather conditions. Mark began his flight with a light drizzle, which after he flew 7-8 minutes, became a steady rain...with Mark still flying elements from the 1981 sequence. Mike fired up, retracted the gear and appeared to have the similar amount of speed (horizonatal and vertical), vertical performance (limited by eye site) and was able to make each element as large as he wanted.

Dave Guerin and I talked about both flights and agreed that:

1. Mike's prototype was awesome, groovy, appeared to lock-in very well
2. The EVolution motor and pipe combo was surprisingly powerful...sounded great!
3. Mike can fly very well!
4. Mark's plane flies very well, groovy, locked-in sounds very cool!
5. Mark was kind'a crazy for flying in the rain storm.
6. Mark can "still" fly very well.

Propellor technology, RPM on the ground versus the "unloaded" RPM in flight.

My interest in classic pattern is based on the simple idea of recreating a specific model, engine and propellor combination and see how the models flew. My Intruder and MK Champion have given me the opportunity to "fly" a bunch of different props including the old school Zinger, Rev-Up, Top-Flight, MK glass nylon (white) and the APC props of similar sizes. The quick conclusion...the APC's basically are quieter and develop more pulling power then any of the aforementioned on non-piped set-ups. I will be adding the Mac's pipe/header to the O.S. .61 FX powered Intruder to re-test the previous brands AND a DW prop made for a longer stroked set-up.

The old school props look a lot cooler. The best non-piped flight performance of the Intruder with muffled O.S. .61 FX on Cool Power 15%...the APC 12 x 9 performed the best. I did not expect this, never the less, it worked. No RPM measurements were taken, just flight observations.

Rusty Dose
Team Futaba