RCU Forums - View Single Post - Electric Racing Development Efforts
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2009, 07:17 PM
Knife Liddle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Electric Racing Development Efforts

Great thread. I`ve read through it this weekend. I`m in a hot spot for Quickie 25 racing, the Dallas/Ft Worth Tx area. I think it would be fun, and I`ve watched a couple of races, but I`m only interested in flying electric power, and as far as I know they have no provisions in the rules for E`s to compete with the IC planes. Maybe I can get with Gene and get a few trial/demo heats.

One reason for the post. I noticed that on the Viper you are having to remove the wing to change the battery. I have a Viper kit and have been looking it over. I don`t know if anyone has tried this, but I`ve decided to make it into a low wing plane so that I can make a hatch in the fuse above the wing for quick battery replacement.

I`m also looking at power systems that will turn the spec prop (gas APC or MA 8/6) in the correct RPM range for competition with the IC powered planes.

In RC combat we have an entry level event that allows IC and E to compete on even ground by simply having a spec prop, a max rpm, and a min weight. The rpm limit is pretty easy to police and puts everyone very close to the same speed. It`s not an exact science, but gets things close enough that it becomes a pilots game, not a deep pocket contest.

I`ll post a pic or two of my low wing Viper mock up. Lee Liddle