RCU Forums - View Single Post - Silk Covering Techniques
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2009, 10:06 PM
frequent flyer
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Silk Covering Techniques

ORIGINAL: TCraft Lover

Man what a great thread!! I have one question though. I'm going to begin constructuion of a Sig Smith Miniplane. I think I'm going to cover it using the Stix It and Koverall method. I want to use Butyrate dope to shrink and fill but how much will I need and what thinning ratio is appropriate? The wings are 650 sq. inches and the fuse is proabably about the same area or a little more.

If you use the koverall and stik it you brush a coat of stik it on the all the wood,let it dry. After it has dryed you lay the koverall over the area , lets say you're doing a wing, lay it over the wing and with a covering iron you iron it on the edges and it will stik to the stik it, it is heat activated glue. I pull it gently just to get it to lay wrinkle free. After the area is covered and sealed around the edges I proceed to iron the rest of the wood areas. Now it's really stuck down. Then you can use your iron or a heat gun and shrink all the rest of the open areas. It shrinks just like iron on coverings even better. You'll love this stuff. Then I coat it with a couple of coats of Nitrate Dope. Now at this point you can do anything you want to finish it. You can use butyrate Dope or auto primer and automotive paints , spray cans or whatever you want for a finish. I use PPG paints and sometimes Butyrate Dope. The auto paints sometimes will crack if you wing is not fully sheeted. On those type of wings I still use Dope.