My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: The RCFW Hellcat Group Build

Ok now that the rockets are assembled, i will tell you about the hard points. Pretty simple really. I laid the three views over Chad's CAD file to locate the hard points ( this is also how i approximated the hole location in the rockets)
once i found the bay I simply laser cut 1/8" lite ply to the proper width. forward of the spar I laminated 1/8" balsa to those pieces and sande to the shape of the ribs. this is all done to provide a rigid mount and reduce the likley hood of damaging the skin in this area. I layed out the pattern on the hard point area and lined up my first rocket (it so happens the middle rocket is the best to start with because it falls right in line with the rib)
Now i dirilled my first hole for a 4-40 blind nut, heres where i ran into problems. I need a 2" 4-40 screw to bolt the rocket down. not as easy as you might think to find. Idid though. MCMasterCarr.com has them. i have my order in.
To finish locating the rockets i just end up making one out of thread rod.

Ok i installed the blind nut and as you can see cranked it down. If any one follows this method GLUE THE BLIND NUT IN ALSO you dont want to knock one free after you finish youjr beautiful model.
place the rocket over the blind nut and bolt it down, then locate the aft hole. drill it install the nut and move on to the next.

once you have all the hole and blind nuts in tape a piece of paper to the upper surface of the wing and pull it ofer the holes Poke the holes through the paper and fold the paper back over the wing. DO NOT REMOVE!!! tis is your template to locate the hols after the sheeting goes on.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28584.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	1312112   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kg14870.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	1312113