RCU Forums - View Single Post - Older Kyosho Concept
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2009, 04:48 PM
Wireless

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Older Kyosho Concept

ORIGINAL: mikewinter

Hi i have a Concept 30 DX with a os 32 and would like to know what is the best RPM for it. thanks mike
Hi Mike,

I genuinely have no idea, but I wouldn't worry unduly for several reasons:

1. The Concept series was designed with .28 to .32 motors in mind, the OS in particular. You aren't overpowering it.
2. These helis were flown before the days of governors and measuring rotor rpm.
3. The blades on the DX are short (500mm) and light so loads at high rpm are minimised.

BUT

1. The DX did not feature thrust bearings on the head, and as such, high rpm can lock up the pitch. If you get pitch locks, you're running too high.
2. People run modern blades on DXs. Up to 550mm (way too big if you ask me - max 515mm on a 'shortie') and fibreglass (heavy). Loads go up.

All helis fly a little different based on weight, CofG, pitch and throttle curves so what suits one DX may not suit another. Unless you are extracting absolute maximum performance from your heli, chasing the numbers on a tacho and nailing headspeeds with governors rarely end up being beneficial. Fly the heli by feel and sound and with a little experiementation you'll soon find what's comfortable for your particular heli.

Hope this helps,

Rup