RCU Forums - View Single Post - Electric Retracts - Modifying existing Air/Servo-operated Retracts
Old 11-24-2009, 11:13 AM
TOMAPOWA
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Electric Retracts - Modifying existing Air/Servo-operated Retracts

Yup... you guys are right... Sanyo gear motors they are, with a 50:1 ratio. This allows me to spin my 4-40 rod (that drives the retract actuator) at such a speed that it takes roughly 4-5 seconds to retract or deploy... Many Robotics outfits sell them.... and the ones I have were purchased from Pololu.com

As for the electronics, you certainly could use scrap servo parts but there is really no reason to make these "proportional", using a feedback pot. To sense limits, I plan to use the increase in current when it reaches both ends, rather that limit switches and/or a feedback pot. Attaching a potentiometer to this mechanism is not all that easy either... look at my setup and you'll see what I mean... no easy way to connect to the nut being driven my the threaded rod.

Now,... the bad/good news, I recently got contacted by a few manufacturers/reps who are very interested in this idea (certainly can't say names) but I can tell you, there is definitely the possibility that these retrofit actuators could be on the market faster than some think. Some probably don't know this but some of the big-name retract Co. are also looking into selling their gear but with electric actuators... in fact some one mentioned that a few of them might had already contacted Lado re: supplying them the actuators for their use (possibly his new bussiness plan). The bad publicity Lado took the last 3-4 months might had ruined this coop... and it now appears they might be looking for other solutions... possibly purchasing the design and bringing the manufacturing in-house.

So... bottom line... If I decide to work with these fellas... you won't see any more posts here re: my DIY retracts effort unfort.
...time will tell...