RCU Forums - View Single Post - Maiden flight: Weston Magnum Electric (Update: #609 crash-video)
Old 07-13-2003, 08:09 PM
RampRat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maiden flight: Weston Magnum Electric (Update: #609 crash-video)

That was it for Magnum #609....

After one pass, i lost all control of the Magnum while going from crosswind-leg to the downwind-leg for a second pass....

It started pitching up and down while rocking from side to side, and although i immediatly shut the engine down, it still ran at full power when it hit the ground, inverted, at a 30-40 degree angle...

The fuselage was more or less vaporized all the way from the nose to mid-wing, but it looks like the engine only sustained minor damage (bent/corkscrewed prop-shaft). Engine-controller has some component-damage, but they are easily replaced, and it will work again if i'm lucky.

Wing is repairable, and will probably be used again on my other Magnum, unless i build a new Magnum from the wing and the tail-section (still intact)...

After studying the video, i'm convinced that the engine was creating the noise that shot it down, as it started while flying out from the field, and got worse fast until it was totally ucontrollable... The noise simply cancelled out the TX-signals...

It was range-tested prior to flight, but this was apparently not enough...

I might post the video later on...