RCU Forums - View Single Post - Bobcat 50 notes (nitro Planes)
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2009, 05:26 PM
MartyH
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bobcat 50 notes (nitro Planes)

I just finished building the Nitro Planes Bobcat 50. I said "build" because this is a "builder's ARF", it definately doesn't just fall together. Anyway, I have about an hour of runtime in the air now and it's a super smooth flyer! CG is set at about 10.25" and empty weight is 7 1/2 pounds with fixed landing gear. The engine is an Aviastar .46 with an O.S. #8 glowplug and running Wildcat 15% helimix fuel. There are a few things I would do differently if I built another one....

1) The Bobcat was built because I was looking for something to put time on an Aviastar .46 so the engine was a given. A 46 really isn't enough for this plane even though it is within the recommended range. It works but it really needs a .61 or even a .75.

2) I'd make sure I got an airframe designed for the fixed gear if I'm running fixed gear. This airframe was "retract ready" and was a pain in the butt installing fixed gear in it.

3) I wouldn't bother installing servos on the rudders. i'd save the money and the weight. I'd set them up in a fixed position with a pushrod so they could be statically adjusted. It would also help keep ballast weight in the nose down. I'm running 3.5 ounces in the nose even with the .46.

4) I installed 3" wheels in place of the tiny stock foam wheels since we have grass runways here.

Nitro Planes Bobcat 50 (gray & orange) $128 delivered to my door. I'd build another!

Marty