RCU Forums - View Single Post - Pacific Aeromodel Clipped Wing Monocoupe Build
Old 11-25-2009, 05:41 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Pacific Aeromodel Clipped Wing Monocoupe Build

Ken Cz,

Most of these Golden Agers don't really "float" much with that big round wall in front of them, but one thing I see a lot is that the tail flies in a "settled down" position behind the plane in flight, and that means it's still tail-heavy, and they really come down much more quickly like that. If the plane LOVES to land at a reasonable speed with its tail flying and then rolls along for a while before you have to pull back on the elevator to drop the tail for ground steering, then you've got it just right. If it likes to settle in for nice 3-point landings, then it's set up tail-heavy. This is a common situation with Golden-Age Racers. Add that extra drag from the tail plowing along below instead of behind a plane and it can accelerate the speed of descent.

I was looking at many of the photos posted out here, and as the plane goes flying level past the camera the tail is not as high as I'd like to see it. I took the photos into my photoshop and blew them up to get a good look, and almost to the last photo I found that flying past in level flight the elevators were VISIBLY down, holding up the heavy tail of course. I'll see if I can find one and publish it up here, hopefully you'll be able to see the low set of the tail and the elevator deflected downward.

Not saying yours is set up this way, but I thought it was a good opportunity to mention what I've seen a lot of out here. Hope these photos show what I'm talking about.

The one I just found I blew up as much as I could without making it too fuzzy, but I think you'll be able to see what I'm talking about.

Jimbo
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34498.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	1320601