RCU Forums - View Single Post - Charlie Kellogg's TBM Avenger Build
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2009, 08:36 AM
butlern
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Charlie Kellogg's TBM Avenger Build

Absolutely... Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

Thanks for checking in again, Brian. I appreciate the compliments, but seriously, I would be thrilled if mine even came out half as good as your Avenger!

I'm leaving for the inlaw's shortly, but I managed a bit of time with the Avenger this morning.

I used 0.010 styrene and some 1/32 music wire to make some fake hatches along the sides of the fuse. As ever, placement, size and shape were determined using the Accurate Miniatures plastic model and 3-views. The short lengths of wire serve to mimic the hinges on these panels. However some panels were not hinged so wire was left off where appropriate.

One thing I have not yet added is the fresh air intake for the bombardier. I need to find some material that can be shaped or molded appropriately. I would hate to have to carve this shape from a blob of Bondo. I'll keep seaching the shop for scraps of tubing that I can slice into a semi-cone shape. Any suggestions from those who have already installed this feature (Brian? Charlie?)?

I also started work to smooth the seam where Charlie joined the cowl halves. I must say, this is literally the only flaw in the cowl. No pinholes whatsoever! Beautiful work, Charlie. I could not believe that the primer didn't reveal more flaws, but the seam was the only area that required filling and sanding. Another round of sanding and priming and I think the cowl will be ready for final paint.

Over the past few nights I have also been sketching the panel lines along the fuse in pencil. Hopefully, I can start masking and spraying the lines on Sat/Sun. If the weather is bad (which is forcast), then instead I'll start practicing riveting on scrap material. Still need to make the brass tube/soldering iron apparatus to make flush rivets, and of course practice with burning the rivets. I also need to experiment with glue/water mix ratios for the application of raised rivets. Thise will be pushed out of a syringe.

There's a huge number of rivets on the Avenger... hopefully the riveting will be therapeutic (but I suspect not!).

Be in touch soon.

Regards,

Noah

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74581.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	1320958   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58195.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	1320959   Click image for larger version