RCU Forums - View Single Post - Yet another Sig Something Extra Build
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2009, 09:20 PM
maynardrupp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Yet another Sig Something Extra Build

My new Supthin' Extra is almost ready fo radio gear. My mods include a stiffner under the skin between the first two ribs. This is for crush resistance when handling the plane. I cut new shear webs and put them on the front side of the spars. That is much easier than trying to fit them between, and much stronger. I put shear webs between the ribs at the front edge of the trailing edge sheeting; again to make it sturdier. The wingtips make it look like a flight streak. Thy are made from 1/8" stock and radius out from the leading edge and are about 2" wide at the trailing edge. A couple of supporting ribs go above and below. I hate the unfinished look of that tip rib. My last SE had carved and hollowed tips. The fuselage has a side mounted OS 55AX, SIG Kadet landing gear with 31/4" tires. The tailwheel is a sullivan. Our grass field can be lumpy and wet. We need good wheels and landing gear. I have another SIG Kadet
landing gear mount below the aft end of the servo tray at the forward edge of F4. This is to mount the rear legs of the 32" foam floats. We use 2 more SIG Kadet gear legs for mounting the floats. Swapping from land to sea takes 2 minutes. Just power off the 3 screws that hold the wheel gear and screw the forward float gear in its place. Next install 3 screws in the rear leg. Presto, you have an awesome float plane. This little airplane flys just as good and is just as maneuverable on floats as on land gear. My covering is a very complicated and curvy Ultra Cote pattern. I will send photos as soon as it is done.