RCU Forums - View Single Post - SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2009, 12:43 PM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA

ORIGINAL: MTK

ORIGINAL: Antique

Lets get real here....Must be numbers from ThrustHp...No 18-6 prop on the planet will give you 26 lbs thrust at 9300 rpm...18 lbs MAYBE....26 is closer to G62 numbers, IMPOSSIBLE to attain with a small engine, piped or not...
I will pay $1000 US dollars to anyone who can send me ANY 30cc class model airplane engine that will show 26lbs static thrust, measured with a scale on the tail wheel of my Phaeton 90 bipe.....Pipe or not...
Anyone ????
I suggest that you buy the engine, equip it with the ESC40G pipe, set the baffle at 27 1/8'' from the plug straight line, use the Vess prop, use a 100:1 fuel mix and run the engine in a 55 degree day with RH around 40%. Then stick your spring scale on the tail wheel and run it up. Then send your money to me....or, better yet, Todd

If an 18.1x10 apc prop turned around 7800 and produced around 21 lbs of thrust, it is quite likely that a 1500 rpm boost with a 6'' pitch would indeed produce the values we found. I'll take the practical over the calculated any day

Matt Kebabjian, one of the three who witnessed and partook in the testing

PS- Subsequent running of the engine in a pattern test bed revealed that more power is available than we saw at first.... we were running the engine lean at the shop tests. The same 18.1x10 apc and pipe combination flew the overweight (12 lbs is overweight in pattern) and large model (nearly 1200 square inch wing) with excellent authority, better than the OS 160 that was in the model. It convinced me to use the engine, in essence as is, in my new pattern design, replacing the ZDZ40. The 40 cc produces a little more power but at the expense of weight, which I can't afford
Here's a pic of the engine mounted. The stand offs are installed on a soft mount of my design, which itself is installed onto firewall. It gets crowded quickly because the choke baffle requires a minimun stand off length of 1.565 to clear. The engine does not require a soft mount... engine hardly shakes at any rpm down to 2500 or so. At idle it shakes a little bit but it's minor. Pattern peopl soft mount as much for saving equipment due to vibration as well as for noise reduction. My chin cowl just clears the cylinder

Matt Kebabjian
Attached Images