RCU Forums - View Single Post - Savage Flux Diff Problems
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2009, 11:16 PM
BigTb17

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Savage Flux Diff Problems

ORIGINAL: Redvanmafia

i don't understand the grease theory, is it going to take force off the gears in a magical way? if your running huge power grease or not the same force is being put to the gears
I noticed what looked like discoloration from excess heat on the gears and pins. When metal overheats it can change its properties, making it more brittle. No lubrication at all where those gears ride on the pins will greatly increase friction, and therefore, heat. Considering the speed and force these diffs are subjected to, heat can build up very quickly.

Grease lubricates and reduces friction, which helps a lot. Filling the diff with silicone fluid goes a step further. Rather than simply being a small coating of lubrication (which can wear off or be flung off) it will flow in and around parts as they spin, increasing the lubrication. Because it can move around and there is more of it, it also adds a cooling affect. That is why it protects the gears.

I'm not saying for sure that's the problem, but that's why people are mentioning it.