RCU Forums - View Single Post - Sig 1/4 J3 Kit converted to PA-18 Super Cub (Build)
Old 12-15-2009, 09:06 PM
SunDevilPilot

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Sig 1/4 J3 Kit converted to PA-18 Super Cub (Build)

Work has started on the modified Upper Cabin / Wing Center Section. I decided, like some before me, that I wanted the wing's center section to remain on the fuselage when the wings are removed. I am also redesigning it into one that more closely resembles a PA-18. Here is what I have so far.

The upper Cabin / Wing Center Section consists of an array of plywood laminated to give me the same thickness as the fuselage sides. It is also made in such a way that a music wire (5/32) can be inserted down the length of the rib and continue down the forward most post (At the windshields aft most portion) providing some strength. I thought it might be wise to add the music wire to give a little strength on the door side of the fuselage. There will be additional wires from the upper cabin to the dash as keeping with the design of the Super Cub.

Visible in the photo are the ply pieces of the center ribs with one partially assembled showing the wire channel (Lowest One).

The ribs will be lightened once I decide how to do the cross braces and where I am going to put them.

More to come....

Phil
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68054.jpg
Views:	574
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	1335279   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw73610.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	1335280