RCU Forums - View Single Post - How about bringing back Single Stick Transmitters
Old 12-19-2009, 01:44 PM
cmanios
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How about bringing back Single Stick Transmitters

My two cents!

Gosh! I could not agree with you more, I go back to the Controlaire (World Engines) days when I purchased a single stick and taught myself to fly. I have had several Kraft, Orbit, Ace, JR and Futaba Single Stick radios since those days and there is nothing better for Scale and Sport flying then a single stick. There is not a two stick flyer out there that can manage ground handling of aircraft as well a single stick flyer, especially in cross wind conditions. Right and left control with a single stick is simply natural for a right handed flyer and also for a left handed flyer providing the single stick is moved to the left side of the transmitter. Controlling left and right functions plus throttle with the left hand is simply not very well accomplished when one is right handed. Also cross wind landings and takeoffs are much more difficult with a two stick as anyone can note at a flying field. Most two stickers simply pour the coals to the plane and take off in whatever direction the plane points too.

The single stick transmitter was designed with the idea of not having to take your hand off the roll, pitch and yaw functions of the aircraft while performing trim functions. However, when Futaba and JR came on board with their single sticks they totally forget about Human Factors and proceeded with blinders on. They also added extra cost to the price of the single stick systems. Modelers wanting the best deal were pushed towards the lower cost two stick transmitters hence the demise of single stick systems. I am sure that if most scale and sport flyers could try a single stick system they would by nature select one over a two stick.

It may be possible that we can provide our case to the people across the big pond and they come up with a solution for us because I do not believe anyone will convince current day suppliers to provide single stick systems as the greed is simply in control!