RCU Forums - View Single Post - Struggling with single rotor basics V2
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2009, 10:38 AM
billmay
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Struggling with single rotor basics V2

ORIGINAL: 9sec240
Bill, are you getting any flying in with the 550?
Only hovering in the driveway.Everything else is covered with snow from the last storm and temps are just getting above freezing. I'll have to check out the local parks to see if there are any clear enough areas for takeoffs and landings (some of them don't even have paved parking areas) but it probably won't be until after the holidays and then it will depend on the weather as well. Not the best time of year but I'm at least glad that I know it will fly.

Here's a tail servo question for you guys. I originally stuck a Futaba S9650 servo on the tail with the new Quark gyro. Although it worked OK (it was on in that brief intial hovering videoI posted) it's not all that fast. The holiday prices atHelidirect have been pretty good soI bought an AlignDS650 (only $65 shipped). The specs seemed pretty good(0.05sec @6V, 5kg torque, metal gears).I liked that you don't need a step down voltage regulator plus I've read that it, and all the Aligns, are made bySavox and my Savox cyclic servos seem to work well. Anyway, I've noticed that the Align servo is quite noisy even with the rudder stick in the neutral position. Not a binding kind of noisy but more like the normal operational sound.The 9650 didn't do this. I think I've read it suggested that some TX's may not provide a perfectly consistent neutral signal and I'm wondering if the new servo is just more sensitive to this (maybe has a narrower center deadzone bandwidth??). Anybody with any thoughts? It worked fine during ahovering test and I'm pretty confident that there is no actual binding. Maybe I need to try a littleelectronics cleaner spray on the rudder pot in the TX???

BTW, the Quark seems to work very well so far. Even with the significant vibration/wag problems I had initially because of the loose boom strut, the tail held pretty well so it's obviously not very sensitive to vibration. Plus I haven't really acclimated it very long when taking it out into the cold temps and I'm not seeing any drift in hovering. So it looks like a winner so far.