RCU Forums - View Single Post - Struggling with single rotor basics V2
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2009, 01:24 PM
dknovick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Struggling with single rotor basics V2

ORIGINAL: billmay

Here's a tail servo question for you guys. I originally stuck a Futaba S9650 servo on the tail with the new Quark gyro. Although it worked OK (it was on in that brief intial hovering video I posted) it's not all that fast. The holiday prices at Helidirect have been pretty good so I bought an Align DS650 (only $65 shipped). The specs seemed pretty good (0.05sec @6V, 5kg torque, metal gears).
Nice!

[link=http://www.servodatabase.com/compare?servos=76,589]Align vs Futaba[/link]

ORIGINAL: billmay

Anyway, I've noticed that the Align servo is quite noisy even with the rudder stick in the neutral position. Not a binding kind of noisy but more like the normal operational sound. The 9650 didn't do this. I think I've read it suggested that some TX's may not provide a perfectly consistent neutral signal and I'm wondering if the new servo is just more sensitive to this (maybe has a narrower center deadzone bandwidth??). Anybody with any thoughts? It worked fine during a hovering test and I'm pretty confident that there is no actual binding. Maybe I need to try a little electronics cleaner spray on the rudder pot in the TX???
Sounds like it's doing a little seeking. Like you say, maybe a more narrow deadzone on the Align,
Disconnected from the tail, does it do the same thing?
If you move the stick, and hold it (or try as best you can), does it seek at that position?

If it seeks at neutral and at another point, it could be a dirty pot.
If it's just at neutral, like you said, it could just be a "bad" 1520us pulse and a sensitive servo.

-Dave