View Single Post
Old 12-26-2009, 12:40 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sebart Wind 110

ORIGINAL: viva_peru
Joe,
Thank you for the suggestions. I ran some of the numbers on the Scorpion 4025/16 and I was wondering what currents you would expect with a 8S setup. With a 16x12 prop, the currents would appear to be in the 75 amp range. Is this correct?

I had considered that motor for the Venus II which I have, but the motor appeared to a little small and that was why I ended up buying the AXI 5320/28. I know that the Scorpions are good motors, but it seems to me that in this application the motors is being pushed a little hard. On the other hand, the 4035 seems about perfect for this plane, specially if it can be fitted without too much fuss.

I have been looking at the Focus Sport primarily because it is less expensive and since I am still learning, there is always the possibility that the plane will meet an early demise. That particular plane also comes with wing adjusters which experience with one of my models has shown that being able to adjust the wing incidence can be a very useful trimming tool.

However, having said that, SebArt planes have a reputation for being very well made and it seems that the Wind 110 is the closest thing you can have to a full 2M plane without braking the bank. Also, for its size, it is quite light and my experience also shows that lighter is better. In contrast, the Focus Sport would probably weigh about the same but in a smaller package. All in all, I am just trying to evaluate different options in a rational manner.

Thanks,
Teo
Scorpion 4025 is rated at 75amps and people are saying it's plenty of power. I just mentioned that motor because you were talking about the recommended Hacker, and this is the Scorpion in the same volt/power category. I'm going with the 4035, as have a few other guys, and using 10S batteries. The 4035 is an easy fit.

In contrasts to the wing adjusters on the Focus, the Wind has no opportunity for adjusting incidence, and it is actually setup to require a bit of up elevator trim to fly level. Other than that (which is not technically a design flaw, just a different style) the plane is very well built - it is light but yet there is plenty of balsa sheeting in the fuse; very nice.

The Focus is a scaled down model of a 2M airplane - it should fly really nice as well.

Nothing in this world is perfect; there are people complaining about the Focus build quality in it's thread in the pattern forum, and people are not happy with the down line speed of the Wind in this forum.

I had my Venus at a contest over the summer and there was a Focus Sport there - I thought the plane looked pretty small. In contrast, the fuse of the Wind is a touch bigger than the Venus. I don't think the difference either way is enough to make a decision, just commenting on what I saw.

I think the Wind will be a much nicer build than the Focus, based on the instructions, the related threads, the Focus build thread, and what people have been reporting. The Wind is a very nice airplane

If you really value a lightweight airplane, the Scorpion 4025 will have good power and save 4oz of weight in the nose, and keep you at 8S. There are only a very few people who say the plane needs any more power than the 8S setup (and only in windier conditions flying advanced schedules); most seem to be more than content with it. You could run 8S 4000mah packs and have a very light airplane. I am more interested in a plane that grooves through wind gusts than a plane that is exceptionally light on it's toes, so I'm not looking to drop too much extra weight. That is purely personal taste.

I have not looked at an e version of the focus sport. I was interested in the plane before I went with the Venus, and upgraded to the Wind from the Venus for better electric capability.

I have judged a Focus a few times at contests, and it really does seem to fly very, very well. Again, you should be happy either way. I suggest reading through both related threads in their entirety and decide on what's most important to you.

Have Fun!