RCU Forums - View Single Post - Tomahawk-Design Bae Hawk 1: 3.5
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2009, 04:45 AM
Ali
My Feedback: (5)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Tomahawk-Design Bae Hawk 1: 3.5

I dont see what the issue is here. Just because they can be built under 20 KG does that mean we have to build them so?
I have just flown the best Skygate hawk and maybe even the best hawk I have ever flown. It's a un structurally modified kit but instead of a dry weight of 20 kg it is more like 24kg. I flew it in what I perceived to be a scale manner with various aeros including knife edge passes, knife edge circuits and even a knife edge to knife edge changeover. No problem what so ever. My only fault with it was the high drag and poor speed retention, and even that could be worked around with the extra thrust of the P-180 turbine.
My Tomahawk when it comes will be built to a similar standard and weight. Hell I may even add some form of ballast box. I will also fit a fully ducted system with bypass ( As we are doing now for a customers Skygate Hawk ) Which I believe will make it fly even better and more like my Airworld and Skymaster hawks.
Sure if you are that way inclined at the World Jet Masters means it all to you then go for it under 20 KG. Multiple wins and top five places over the past few years seems to show that light and floaty is what the judges want ( Dont get me started on this issue as I am with Sap on this one and to me it is this that forced me to lose interest in the event )
It goes back to a belief of mine that too many modelers are not prepared to tune/ adjust or tweek a model so it suits their own desires and flying styles. Hell The Skygate that I just flew came to me pre owned and the owner had set it up as per instructions... When I flew it I thought it was horrific. Great set up if I were flying a 3d style aerobatic plane and wanted a totally neutral model that required very little inputs to perfrom lets say an axial slow roll, but for a nice solid scale jet..... [:'(]