RCU Forums - View Single Post - Messerschmitt Bf 108 Taifun ARF from Global/ VQ
Old 01-07-2010, 06:00 PM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Messerschmitt Bf 108 Taifun ARF from Global/ VQ

Despite hazardous driving conditions today (winter storm), mine arrived safely today.

First impressions:

1) Hardware in ZIPLOCK BAGGIES! Yes, many of them. VQ: you're the GREATEST. 1st thing I usually do when a kit arrives: repackage all small items in ZipLock baggies, so I can look at/ fondle parts and not worry about loosing them later. ALREADY DONE!

2) Retracts are typical for ARFs this size: 4.0 mm struts (about the same as 5/32"), which I consider too small/ weak for 10 lbs warbirds. I'll probably install something else.

3) Main Wheels are 3" dia., DEFINATELY too small and I'll see what I can squeeze into those 3 1/4" wheel wells (maybe I'll just remove them).

4) Fixed gear INCLUDED ALSO! If you are not comfortable with retracts, this kit includes a seperate set of struts and hardware for making it fixed gear. I assume that one could install the retracts at a later date if desired.

5) Spinner is about 2 1/8" dia, and appears to be appropriate for this aircraft.

6) 6mm nylon wing bolts: I don't like this, I'll have to replace them with good ole 1/4" ones (MUCH easier to replace if needed)

7) instructions and hardware included for electric motor installation (as well as fuel power): YES!

8) Finish: I LIKE it. My 1st model with panel lines and rivits, looks pretty darn good! No wrinkles, only a few sags over the open framework areas (rudder, elevators) which can probably be removed with a little heat.

9) Servos: Futaba S3004s drop right in to every servo mount (except maybe retract), a perfect fit! This is good news to me, because I am tired of having to modify servo mounts to fit the Futaba servos onto them, The Futaba S3004 is an ideal servo for this warbid: inexpensive, reliaable, strong enough to do the job (even flaps) and at 1.4 oz each: relatively light. But if digital is your preference: the Cirrus 126 is an ideal fit also.

That's all for today, more tomorrow.