RCU Forums - View Single Post - Great planes VFO (PBF kinda thing)
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2010, 08:21 AM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Great planes VFO (PBF kinda thing)

The G.P. VFO is well designed but there are a few caveats that a customer should be aware of for a successful experience. The mention of using a Y-harness on the rudder is valid but they forgot to mention that this option will eliminate the rudders simultaneous usage as ailerons. The plane will still fly fine, it will just have less roll authority, which may also affect its ability to hover. I have not tested that setup.

The ElectriFly RimFire 300 motor must be reconfigured in order to utilize the prop-saver adapter and rubber o-ring. This requires the customer to change the position of the motor shaft. I found this procedure too difficult due to the threadlocker applied to the two grub screws that needed to be loosened. Using the normal prop adapter (also included) was much easier to install.

The VFO uses several mixes to synchronize all four control surfaces so a programmable transmitter is required. Elevon mixing is used on the "wings" to obtain normal flight and the second rudder surface is mixed from an AUX channel to match the rudder control. The final two mixes are used to allow the aileron channel to additionally swing the two rudder surfaces. In this manner, all four control surfaces follow the same aileron direction for rolls. Although three P-mixes are needed to accomplish this setup, it is still possible to leave out the last aileron-to-rudder mix so that only 3 of the 4 control surfaces follow the aileron stick. This reduction allows lower-end transmitters (like the Spektrum DX6i) to be used on the VFO with minimal ill effect on rolls.