RCU Forums - View Single Post - *Parkzone Typhoon 2 -Official Thread!*
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2010, 02:14 AM
lejongleur
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: *Parkzone Typhoon 2 -Official Thread!*

Bizarre incident yesterday. I flew my Typhoon for its 130th time on a gusty day. Changed the battery and went up again - lots of tumbling, etc., when it became increasingly badly behaved, then uncontrollable, and crashed downwind. When I got to it, it had bounced off one of the probably 4 cars in the whole huge park (causing a dent/scratch), and the owner was a bit grouchy about it, but that's another matter that was solved with some folding money.

The Typhoon was sitting on the blacktop near the car, apparently undamaged (its pretty scruffy, but didn't show any signs of sudden recent -50g deceleration.) However, BOTH ailerons were broken in a couple of places, one of them more or less in pieces. All the hinge mounts are still on both wings, and one of the ailerons was replaced about 15 flights ago. The propeller was not broken, although the blade tips looked a bit worn (might have been before the flight).

I took the plane back and turned everything back on - everything works fine and with the new ailerons I ordered tonight ($13.99 delivered from RCBoyz), it will be back in action. The radio was not at fault, as I could operate the tail and throttle when it was otherwise out of control.

I do, however, have the control surfaces set up to go as far as the airframe allows, using S3102 Futaba MG servos to yank them around, so I wonder if a gust of wind literally broke the ailerons in the air when both ailerons were deflected more than 45 degrees or so.

We'll see what happens next time.