View Single Post
Old 01-14-2010, 05:01 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Learning to use a hi-start

ORIGINAL: Salinas Hawk

Hi guys
Ok, I got a basic Hiigh Start and a Spirit from Tower Hobbies, but I can only get up about 100ft or so. From there, I fly nicely, no crashes, but I can oinly keep it in the air for like a minute. Is it lack of flying skills, or set up, or what.

I followed all the instructions by the letter.

My real question is: Is this typical of new pilots, or am I doing something very wrong?

I read all of this thread, and some of the attached articles, but I couldn't identify my problem.

Note: I am a total newbie, and I havenever successfully landed a 2-stroke trainer on my RealFlight, but after about 15 flights with my Spirit, that thing is almost impossible to crash. I even tried a loop. It was unsuccessful, but the Spirit didn't stall. It just kind of fizzled and drifted into level flight.

Just the same, learning to fly is minumal cause I can only keep it in the air for a minute or so.

What am I missing?

Respectfully, Salinas Hawk

First, let me welcome you to the privledged few who will learn to fly on unseen forces. ;

1) What hi-start did you get? Iwant specs and/or a link. How much rubber, what size and how much line?

2) what strength of pull are you getting in pounds or Kilos? Use a fish scale to measure it. Should only cost a few dollars at a fishing store.

3) Where do you have the CG set compared to the MFG recommendations?

4) where is the tow hook relative to the CG

5) Are you launching into the wind?

Go back and read the thread to see if you can identify opportunities to improve your launch.