RCU Forums - View Single Post - Best/Fastest Plane for a Moki 2.10 !?!?
Old 01-15-2010, 08:41 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Best/Fastest Plane for a Moki 2.10 !?!?

ORIGINAL: ckombo

Speed only depends on pitch and RPM? I think you forgot to take into account drag, weight etc... If I put the Moki on a Mud Duck, getting more than 5mph would be a gift. I am looking for a slick and fast plane, or a plane designed for speed with the right engine and prop.

You didn't read what I posted literally - I said "directly proportional to", not "entirely dependent on" or "equal to" - and there is a significant difference. No matter how slick you make the airplane this engine is bolted to, you are still hampered by the fact that there aren't any props out there beyond 12-14" pitch. Your car's top speed potential is directly proportional to the drive ratio gear ratio, tire diameter, and limitiing engine rpm. Whether or not it has the power to get there is another matter yet.

So yes, you can fly briskly with the Moki 2.10, and apparently you can get to 132mph on the Sundowner. That's pretty close to where I was talking about in terms of speed. Might be able to coax something to 140 or so I'd guess. Again, this is all with stock propellors of 12-14" pitch. I'm not saying that isn't fast - it's decent enough. I guess what I am saying big picture is don't expect blinding speeds due to the fact that this is a big ol' 2.10 cu in 2-stroke producing close to 5 hp. It sure is, but that's only the power generating station, not the drivetrain.

I don't know what your expectations are. If 130mph or so is speedy enough for you, then you'll be happy. If you are getting bored of Q500's with .46's on them, then you won't. On an extreme speed prop plane forum you said you wanted SPEED in capitals. 130-135mph is FUN as all heck (of course it is!), but it doesn't rank as speed flying. Plus, big airplanes don't look as fast so you have those visual aspects too.

You probably don't want to beat on people for pointing out simple mechanical limitations to posted goals, when this is a technical forum and you said you wanted to go fast. The limitations I pointed out due to engine rpm potential and available prop choices are real, tangible, practical "today" issues that stand in your way. Those are the things that require attention to improve the potential above bolting a stock engine to a stock airplane with stock props and flying the same speed as everyone else.

MJD