RCU Forums - View Single Post - JJ1400 14lb Turbine Stripdown/Rebuild
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2010, 07:31 AM
Xairflyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: JJ1400 14lb Turbine Stripdown/Rebuild

More on the bearings
You need to be careful when sliding the bearing on the shaft as if pushing to hard on the outer race, it can come apart and leave you with balls all over the place.
Bearing needs to be slid on by pushing the inner race if possible, I used a long 1/4 drive socket. the bearing may slide on easy enough and mine was a bit too easy so when I measured the journal of the shaft it was 7.97mm so I decided to fit a new shaft.

The new one was 7.99mm looking at drawings of KJ66 shaft they show journal size to be 8.00 +0.1, my bearing was now a nice snug fit on my shaft so I was happy with it. Journal needs to be measured with a Micrometer and not a vernier caliper.

If the dreaded bearing falls apart happens, then gather up the balls there should be 14.
Note: Good idea to do bearing installation work low over a tray or cloth so if they do fall apart they wont end up on the floor.

Put the balls and the bearing cages into a cup (I use the top of an aerosol can) of white spirit (mineral spirits) and give them a good wash.
Dry your outer cage, smear in the inside of the cage with a thin film of grease, using a pair of tweezers place each ball around the inside of the cage, the grease should hold them in place, put the bearing cage down on the bench (on a clean piece of tissue paper/cloth) with the arrow pointing UP.
Take the inner race with the thin/taper facing down (see pic below) and push into the bearing, it should snap into place.
Wash your bearing out again with clean white spirit, air line also useful for this.

If you are going to temporarily store the bearing, then put a small amount of turbine oil into the bearing, if you are carrying on with assembly then wait to add a some oil to the bearing to just before final assembly, this will minimize and dirt being picked up.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91973.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	1367775