RCU Forums - View Single Post - Diamond Dust in air and GRRT runs great after rebuild.
Old 07-13-2003, 12:40 AM
FlooredCOBRA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diamond Dust in air and GRRT runs great after rebuild.

I finally got my piston sleeve and rod in from Morris Hobbies. My GRRT been a sitting duck until today. I finally got to crank it up and hear the ole sound of the pipe popping.

I got it broke in pretty good and decided to fly around rich and get the hang of going fast again. I cranked up hit WOT but was still rich enough so it ran just under pipe. Had a nice smoke trail behind it. I aimed up and launched and it took off perfectly.

I flew around to get the trim set and flew around at about 1/4 throttle. Just trying to still be easy on the new working parts. It reacted what seemed to be better than when I first bought it and flew it. It had instant throttle response never loaded up. I was tickled pink by then. I flew around some more going up to half throttle for a little then back to 1/4 then back. It finally ran out of fuel then I landed.

Next flight I left it still rich and launched into air. I flew around some more from 14/ to 1/2 some. About mid flight I was on a straight and hit it WOT for a second. It revved up and stayed under pipe still. I I tried again and this time it hit up on pipe. At this time it has been so long I forgot what it was like to haul in the air. The pipe kicked in and it looked like it was on a rubber band and launching again. I made a pass and back out again. Flew a little more and hit it again. Pipe kicked in and it took off but I didn't hold there but for about 2 seconds or so. I was still trying to get used to it. Finally it ran out and I landed.

3rd flight went good and again engine running good. At this time my buddy got to field and was excited to see it run after all the time. I made a few slow passes then kicked it for a second. He was cracking up at this time and was saying " I got to get one of those!" I was trying to explain I was being easy and to wait one more flight then I will kick it in the full flight. I made my turn to come across field low and all of a sudden I had no up or down on one of the elevons. Well it being a delta natural when you pull it up it will roll with one out. It rolled into the ditch where high weeds were and I heard a thud.

At this time I was sick to my stomach and pissed that there was a failure and not me that made it crash. I don't mind me being stupid and crashing but not when it is a failure inside somewhere.

I walked over and it was in the ground. I pulled it out of the dirt and one of the leading edge rodes was broke in 2 spots. Everything else was okay, well besides prop but thats okay. The engine was okay that goodness! That was my main concern rather than the plane. Luckily I wasn't going WOT when it hit or it would have been a mess.

So now here I sit with a kicking running engine and a plane to fix..... Not a good day. All I got today was a tease and never got a chance to really move out. But good thing is it wont take much time to fix. I just need to find a rod the same size thats in there to replace with.

The reason why it lost control was due to thew foam padding on receiver wadding up under servo arm and pulling the whole receiver in front of servo arm. It totally blocked the throw of my horn and this little stupid thing is what made me crash today.... Oh well things happen. Today was a good day and bad day at the same time. Engine ran good and me over looking insides made me crash.

Well things happen. Luckily I wasn't WOT and it did this into pits or hit something. So in a way I was lucky. So now back to fixing and hopefully I will be back in air this week.

Main thing is the GRRT hauls!!!!