RCU Forums - View Single Post - ModelTech Great Lakes Setup
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2002, 04:41 PM
Lloyd
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Project on hold, for now...

I'm sending off for Harry Higley's book on Bipes. So, it will be a while before I contininue with this plane. Given the replies I've gotten from this forum, I feel there is something very wrong with the "as delivered" geometry.
No respondees, who have the plane, commented on the "upside down" top wing. If mine is stamped the same way all of them are, It would explain "falling out of the sky if the motor quits" by TLH101. Hans Meij had the most usefull input. Particularly the points about moving as much radio weight far forward to get correct CG, and after changing the top wing incidence to negative, gave him a "great flying airplane". Unfortunately, I don't know Dutch and I couldn't follow his web pointer. However, if his top wing was stamped and mounted upside down as mine certainly is, wouldn't reducing the incidence eliminate a great deal of drag from that useless top wing? Probably would improve the inverted performance a great deal also.

Anyway, I've decided to re-engineer the flying surface incidences and recalculate the correct CG location based on good design practices rather than the poor instructions that came in the box. I hope Harry Higley will explain that for me.

Thanks for all your supportive input. I'll post again when I learn something positive.

Cheers,
Lloyd