RCU Forums - View Single Post - IR Battling Accuracy
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2010, 10:07 AM
tigrotto1a6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: IR Battling Accuracy

Using something similar to this: http://www.rangevideo.com/index.php?...roducts_id=175 you can use 2 cameras (same voltage) in a tank and you can select what camera are you using (if you are alone), so, with one you drive, then us the other for fighting.
The selection is through a free rc channel.
The FPV possibilities are very high, almost all are used for airplanes.
Welcome Masamichi Mori, probably you missed a mail I sent you (using the contact on your site) requesting info for laser pointing.
You just answered here, so, thanks for the explanation.
I'm searching a solution for big scale tanks that must fight outdoor and with more space between them, so the IR is almost unreliable and the targeting cone is too wide. Laser could help, but needs bigger sensors all over the tank or it is impossible to hit it.
Few things I learned about FPV:
High power and high frequency are not very good for ground usage because of ground and obstacle echoes. Sometimes lower frequencies (also if with lower power) can solve the problem. Normally the FPV frequencies are 900MHz, 1.2GHz and 2.4GHz. Some are legal, some not, also the power is linked to legal limitations by country laws.
FPV cameras are a lot.
Different resolution, different optics (and some with interchangeable optics to increase/decrease angle of view), different light sensitivity and so on.
The best one I saw (and I bought) is the dx201 that is a WDR (wide dynamic range) camera. The image is adjusted for light compensation in each image section to have all sections visible in all conditions (no foreground/background parts will be dark).
Also they differs for voltage, there are 3.3V cameras, 5V cameras, 6 to 12V and others maybe.
Dimensions, they can stay on a finger tip or maybe bigger, resolution also varies from 320*240 to more, few are also HD.

In some configurations you can use a movable camera, it can use one or 2 channels or be completely standalone system. It can have tilt and pan feature, one of them or both, and you can usa also the head movements to move the camera (head tracking).
To see images a little LCD with AV in, video goggles, laptop or netbook, or a simple TV with AV in, in some cases those devices can also record the videos directly.

About antennas, there is more to say, for flight (maybe useless for us) there are tracking patch antennas that will capture the signal pointing on the model antenna.
Every (or almost all  I saw) transmitter have a channel selection for frequency, maybe 4 or 6, or also 8 depending on models.