RCU Forums - View Single Post - New to the 1/5 scale RC world
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2010, 08:26 AM
csp1971

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: New to the 1/5 scale RC world

ORIGINAL: goneracing_83

from what he told me when he put the alloy big engine mount in and once he did the stock rear bulkhead brace did not fit at all. When it was placed in its correct position the layshaft and diff gear were not touching at all. is that what your talkin about? to drill out a new hole on the blue brace to make the layshaft and the diff gear to mesh? if so that will be a really ez fix (so i think like i said dont have the truck YET)once i get the truck and a new bulkhead brace since he chopped that one up. the only other thing i will need is a 2.4 ghz 3 ch radio and i will be good to go. now i also read on a diff fourm (duruatrax firehammer...ya its spelled wrong on the forum title) that you would want to use a high end 2 cycle oil? is that really necessary? they where saying to use like belray, yamalube, or mobile 1 two cycle oil. i was thinking about getting stihl 2 cycle oil since i konw where i can buy it in bulk cheaper then buying them one or two at a time. now i have read some more of this thread today and found out that a pipe will make a HUGE diff in power and accel. now wondering would this pipe fit the firehammer at all........ http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.88...t.A/id.1760/.f i have been seeing alot of these on ebay and goin for about 80 to 100 bucks shipped. i know its for a MCD but the engine in the MCD and the FH is a CY right? if so then it should fit the engine but not sure if it will miss the rollcage. please keep in mind im buying a MT not the buggy. not sure if there is a diff or not between the two. so thought to ask the guys that know a lil .... ok alot more then me about it [sm=wink_smile.gif] before i spend the money and it dont work.

I guess I just don't see why the diff gear and the layshaft gear don't touch, regardless of the brace. The brace should just help prevent flex and not be the sole piece that keeps the two gears together. There has to be something more than just that. Does he have the mounts slid back far enough (check bottom of chassis). Are the alloy engine mounts blue by any chance? Once you get the truck, you'll get a better idea of what's going on.

Get yourself a Futaba if you can (http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXXRL8&P=0) for a radio. Three channel and you'll also want a killswitch: http://www.killerrc.com/products/pro...killswitch.php

2 cycle oil: Some people use the Stihl. I use Silkolene and also Klotz (also available at davesmotors). These are usually available from your local atv/motorcycle stores. I would go with a higher end 2 cycle oil.

An updated pipe will make a huge difference, type in Firehammer pipe at davesmotors. I have two Dominator pipes for mine (torque and top-end). If I had to choose between the two, I'd go with the Torque pipe.

Your firehammer will either have an actual CY or a clone engine. My FHMT had a clone engine that was a 3 bolt. But the pipes will fit up to them. An MCD pipe isn't going to work for the Firehammer MT/FH.