RCU Forums - View Single Post - Super Lazy Ace
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2010, 09:57 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Super Lazy Ace

I am beginning to start a scratch build of a Super Lazy Ace. Old Chuck Cunningham design. I ordered all of my balsa today from Lonestar balsa. This makes me quite happy that they are up and running again, and wanted to give them my business.
I am looking really hard at installing an MT 70cc twin gas engine for power. I have also decided to change the airfoil to a clark Y as I prefer the more curved section on the bottom of the Leading edge from the stock airfoil. It is also a little thicker section than stock. I know this airfoil will perform better for my application. (this topic has already been thoroughly hashed out in the aerodynamics section).
some of the other changes I am going to make are slide on wings utilizing wing tubes. I want to leave the center section of the top wing attached to the cabane struts to ease field assembly. Also, I am going to turn this into a WW1 2 seater type aircraft. I think this airplane begs to be dressed up into something with a little more character. I will be going after something German with a tail gunner and such.
For covering, I will be using the light weight ceconite or similar full scale fabric to keep the costs down and improve the quality over the film or hobby marketed fabrics.
I am not sure if i will do a full build thread but will post some occasional updates on my progress. once I get all of my parts ready, I want to move rapidly as I would like to have this flying by the end of the summer.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50495.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	1398470