RCU Forums - View Single Post - Black Horse Home Run Landing gear problem
Old 07-15-2003, 01:22 PM
njl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black Horse Home Run Landing gear problem

I had to make a dead stick landing with my Home Run pattern ship onto a slightly rougher part of the field and the landing gear wire on the Right hand wing bent back and ripped up a small section of the wing. (Were only talking 3 - inch long grass). I've not had a chance to remove the covering and inspect the internal damage yet but it looks to me like the design is weak and needs some additional strengthening. This is only the fifth landing with this plane and non of them have been hard landings.

Basically each main wheel is attached to a metal rod that bends 90 degrees and runs along the wing for four inches or so before bending 90 degrees and going up into the wing. There are two metal plates screwed over the wire to keep it pressed onto the wing. The bending moment of the wire is against the wing internals. The wing is a balsa type construction, not foam.

Any one else had this type of problem? Any ideas how I might beef up the support for the main landing gear on this plane?

Also does anyone know what the covering material used on these kits is called so I can get some to re-cover the bottom of the wing once I've repaired it.?

Thanks for any advice,

Nick