RCU Forums - View Single Post - Molding a Dirty Bridy 60 Fuselage
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2010, 04:59 PM
Roguedog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Molding a Dirty Bridy 60 Fuselage

Man! Got laid up for 5 days due to the flu. Glad i'm starting to feel better.

Steve,

Thanks for the encouragement. I would be glad to hookup your bud with a fuse, this is my first project of this type and would be glad to except help from him as well.

Matt,
Interesting Idea using plumbers putty. Will try it out and compare it to the molding clay I got for the project.

Joe,
I really like the simplicity of the anti-scratch plasitc feet for the index pegs. I know this is a pretty advanced project for most but would like to make it as simple as possible and to keep costs down so someone following the thread might be inspired to mold one of there own.
I don't imagine the feet would cost that much but theres also gas to to and back from the store so a $3.00 package of feet turns into $9.00 of gas for total of $12for thefeet plus my time.

rangerman,
Thanks for sharing the pics.Using the clay for the indexing sounds like an interesting idea as well. With the clay you could make rectangularvertical and horizontal indexes instead of round indexes. Very interesting idea.

Material costs so far-
Epoxy tooling coat $35
Epoxy for laminating $35 originally purchased 1.5 gals of resin for another project have about 1/2 leftover. Original cost for 1.5 gals $70
Epoxy clay for mold $35
Fiberglass 6oz 3yds $10
Fiberglass 2oz 3yds $10
4x8 sheet of hardboard $12 got 4 12" x 6ft parting boards and 2 12" x4ft parting boards out of it.
1x6 pine boards $8
balsa sheets$10

I happen to have alot of consumables from other projects on hand so kinda hard to give a figure for that stuff as it's left overs form other projects e.g sandpaper, bodyfiller, glazing putty, masking tape etc. But I would imagine anyone willing to try this would have a variety of stuff lying around. Point is, usewhat you got on hand to keep costs down.