RCU Forums - View Single Post - 1/3 Scale Halberstadt D.III
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2010, 05:21 PM
Sethhunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1/3 Scale Halberstadt D.III

Hi Doc - welcome and thanks. I hope I don't have issues with the stab. Hopefully your friend had the pull-pull set up correctly - tight on center, loose when deflected. If it's the other way around, that could cause big trouble. I'd be worried about flying with cables super tight - it's begging for something to break. Assuming the pull-pull is set up correctly, I'd make sure the aircraft cg is not near the neutral point. Even if the plane is flying well, I'd add nose weight before static balancing the stab. Nose weight would shift the stab trim - moving the stab angle of attack to a position where it generates a bit more lift (negative), a "biasing" load that might move it away from it's (sloppy?) fluttering point. I really don't see static load as a major factor. Adding the weight tends to lower the stab's natural frequency, but I doubt that helped much. Mostly, I'd bet the high tension in the cables caused enough friction damping to settle it down. In addition to stressing the airframe, it wears servos and draws more current. I can't argue too much with success, though!