RCU Forums - View Single Post - 1/8 scale TopFlite Corsair Mods
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2003, 04:12 PM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Adding Scale Antennas

Here is another item which can be added to an already completed Corsair: the antenna aft of the cockpit. You 'red box' Corsair owner/ builders already have this, as a plywood mast is included with your kit and shown on the plans. This was omitted from the Gold Edition versions.
Nearly all full scale Corsairs have an antenna mast in the location shown on the picture below, however, the shape varies somewhat. Many also have an additional mast ahead of the cockpit, you will need to check drawings and/ or pictures of the specific Corsair you are modeling your's after to determine if yours need the forward mast.
I chose this picture because it also shows an antenna wire exiting the fuselage, aft of the canopy and to the right side of the fuselage. Altho I have better scale drawings available, nearly all of them show the left side of the fuselage, and therefor do not show this where this wire exits the fuselage. This wire is also typical of most full scale Corsairs.
The reason I mention this wire is because I have my receiver antenna wire exiting at the same location, thereby adding some authenticity to it.
This drawing is NOT to scale, I don't know what scale it is, but it should give you a pretty good idea of the proper locations. The drawing is of an F4U-1D. Many of the earlier Corsairs had more of a 'whip' antenna instead of the mast, but in the same location. Such an antenna could be made from music wire, or a small plastic tube like the ones used with aerosol cans.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	105427_14834.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	54227