RCU Forums - View Single Post - CMP 160 sized Texan
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2010, 08:31 AM
ATVAlliance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CMP 160 sized Texan

I do appreciate all of the input to my question thus far...and anyone else that would like to offer advice, its much appreciated.

The reason I was interested in this plane to start is the pricepoint of the ARF.  That is why I find it hard to invest in an engine that is nearly 1/3 more the cost of the airframe alone.  And that isnt the only reason as I had read another post on this plane that a few claimed that the center wing section was of poor design and could cause a crash...so i dont want a 350 dollar enging lawn darting into the ground (but that is another topic altogether /weak center wing).

While I was skeptical of the engines listed above because of their price, after reading the reviews it seems more people are satisfied with them than not.

I am just now getting back into flying RC after about a 10 or so year absense.  And to be honest IF I buy the Texan...I wont be ready to fly it till next summer.  But thought it would be a good winter project and I could start buying things like the engine and retracts along the way this summer and hopefully have everything collected for the build this winter.

Im not a mechanic by trade (actually Im a Network Systems Admin)...but I have grown up riding motorcycles and ATVs and tinkering with all sorts of small and large engines my entire life.  So "fiddling" with an engine to get it "just right" isnt too much of concern to me.  I just want to make sure that I at least end up with an engine, even though it may be hard to tune and/or break in...that will run and not shake the plane apart because of improperly made crankshafts or propshafts.

So saying all of that...I would still like to keep the cost of the engine down around the 150 to 200 US dollar range.

I might also add that it may be better to ask what is the optimum weight and length of an engine for this plane?

Again, any and all input is appreciated.